Successful Investing Radio Archive
Expand All | Collapse AllJanuary 25, 2008 — Guest Speaker: N/A — Capital Market Expectations
- Market efficiency
- Most investors do not beat the market, but where are those that do?
- How are returns calculated and how does inflation affect returns?
- The equity premium
- Mean reversion
January 18, 2008 — Guest Speaker: N/A — A Historical Analysis of Market Volatility
- The difference between information and knowledge.
- Is “after the fact” market information relevant?
- How often does taking on equity risk pay off?
- The importance of remaining disciplined and staying the course with your investment strategy.
January 11, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Weston Wellington — The Average Investor
- Attempting to pick winning stocks.
- Getting in and out of the market.
- Sitting on the sidelines until things get better.
January 04, 2008 — Guest Speaker: N/A — Evaluating Your Portfolio
- Why it is important to stick to your investment plan?
- The importance of knowing your risk tolerance.
- Understanding different asset classes available.
- Ways to make smart adjustments to your portfolio.
December 28, 2008 — Guest Speaker: N/A — Diversification
- How to stay focused during tough economic times.
- Building a successful budgeting strategy.
- What is an asset class?
- Understanding the P/E ratio.
December 21, 2008 — Guest Speaker: N/A — End of Year Financial Planning
- What should investors be watching out for when year-end planning?
- Investment Philosophy.
- Know yourself – investor’s mistakes related to risk.
- Not relying on familiar stocks for portfolio performance.
December 14, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Larry Swedroe — Common Mistakes Made by Investors
- Making Prudent investment decisions.
- Expenses and market timing eat up your returns.
- What should investors be doing today?
- Should you ever deviate from your investment plan?
November 15, 2008 — Guest Speaker: N/A — Troubling Signs in the Economy
- How to put this current economic and investment environment into perspective.
- Signs of hope both domestically and around the world.
- What you should be doing during these rocky times.
- Advice for investors and savers of all ages.
- The importance of staying educated.
November 8, 2008 — Guest Speaker: N/A — The Election And the Stock Market
- What does a new president mean for this stock market?
- How will increased taxes impact the market and the economy?
- The benefits of tax loss harvesting.
- Opportunities from re-balancing your portfolio during a bear market.
- Inflation-Protected Securities.
October 26, 2008 — Guest Speaker: N/A — What are Investors Doing Wrong?
- The pitfalls of selling equity during market downturns.
- The historical performance of equity after a financial crisis.
- Why you should invest early: compounding interest.
- How emotions can negatively affect the management of your portfolio.
October 19, 2008 — Guest Speaker: N/A — A Historical Perspective on Current Market Conditions
- How unusual is the current market volatility?
- Are we headed toward another Great Depression?
- Is it wise to avoid equities until the market conditions improve?
- What your advisors should be doing to help you through this time.
October 12, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Ethan Broga CFP®, MS — The Current Financial Crisis and Market Bubbles
- An introduction to Robert Shiller’s interview on the subprime mortgage crisis.
- What can we learn from market bubbles?
- Embracing market efficiency during a volatile market.
- How to avoid being caught in a bubble: staying diversified.
October 5, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Ethan Broga CFP®, MS — An Empirical Market Outlook
- Managing your portfolio during volatile market times.
- Pros and cons of annuity products.
- Does stock picking work? Can you really “beat the market”?
- Savings and allocation recommendations.
September 28, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Bill Bachrach, CSP — Values-Based Financial Planning
- What is Values-Based Financial Planning?
- Why is it important to understand and review your values?
- The distinction between your values and goals.
- The difference between the “Do-it yourselfers”, “Collaborators” and “Delegators”.
September 21, 2008 — Guest Speaker: N/A — Investing During Turbulent Markets
- What to do financially in an unstable market.
- The difference between compensated and uncompensated risk.
- How can you prepare your portfolio for turbulent markets?
- The real function of bonds in a diversified portfolio.
September 14, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Eugene F. Fama & Jiawen Shi — Fund Performance/Educational Savings
- Interview with Eugene Fama.
- What is a Coverdale educational savings account?
- Are there any limitations placed on account contributors?
- Do Coverdale accounts have special tax advantages?
- How Coverdale accounts differ from the educational 529 plans?
September 07, 2008 — Guest Speaker: N/A — Social Security Benefits
- What are the tax implications on Social Security ?
- Does Social Security recognize common law marriage?
- How long must a person work to become eligible for Social Security benefits?
- Should younger generations rely on Social Security for their retirement plan?
August 31, 2008 — Guest Speaker: N/A — Maximizing your Retirement Account
- Choosing appropriate investments for your retirement plan.
- How much should you contribute to your company retirement account?
- How often should you make changes to your retirement accounts?
- Withdrawing money from your retirement account before retirement.
August 24, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Ashley Dahl & Ethan Broga — Asset Protection and Stock Investments
August 17, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Ethan Broga & Steven Guichard — Frontier Markets and Non-Portfolio Risks
- What an unbrella policy or life insurance can do for you.
- Asset Protection.
- Frontier markets and the risks associated with this “hot new asset class”.
- Why investing rules of thumb don’t apply to everyone.
August 10, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Dr. Harry Markowitz — Modern Portfolio Theory
- What is Modern Portfolio Theory and how has it impacted investing today?
- The correlation of risks.
- The power of diversification.
- Why using multiple asset classes is important.
August 03, 2008 — Guest Speaker: N/A — Empirical's Passive Approach to Investing
- The importance of staying invested during unpromising market times.
- Differing risk levels can affect a portfolio’s return.
- Picking an advisor who is right for you.
July 27, 2008 — Guest Speaker: John R. Nofsinger, PhD — Overcoming Psychological Setbacks When Investing
- How do our emotions impact investing?
- The familiarity, herding and over confidence effects of investing.
- Acknowledging and overcoming psychological obstacles when investing.
July 20, 2008 — Guest Speaker: N/A — The Role of Empirical Wealth Management
- Why the passive approach is the right path to take.
- Bear markets and the best time to buy.
- The importance of being invested in all asset classes.
July 13, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Larry Swedroe — Inflation
- Inflation and the impact on investing.
- Should you buy gold in times of inflation?
- Inflation protected bonds.
- The negative impact of following a market “Guru”.
July 06, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Larry Swedroe — Annuities: Should You Invest?
- Why investors should not invest in hedge funds.
- The impact of a weak versus strong US dollar.
- The costs of an active strategy.
- The benefits of adopting a passive strategy.
June 29, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Dr. Leonard Mlodinow — Randomness, Chance, and Probability
- The effects of randomness, chance, and probability on our lives.
- Applying “The Drunkards Walk” to the investment world.
- Stock picking vs. index funds.
- The art of perseverance.
June 22, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Larry Swedroe — Market Efficiency
- How do capital markets really work?
- Larry Swedroe’s view on market efficiency.
- Larry Swedroe’s arguements for passive investing.
- How do hedge funds fit into an efficient market?
June 15, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Ethan Broga CFP®, MS — Investing in Emerging Markets
- What is an emerging economy?
- What does it take for emerging markets to grow and prosper?
- Why should you be invested in emerging markets?
- Best ways to invest in emerging markets.
June 08, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Steven Guichard — Hedge Funds
- What are hedge funds and should you invest in them?
- The risks and expenses of hedge funds.
- What are some of the SEC regulations that hedge funds have?
- How to get started in investing?
June 01, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Pamela B. Wilkinson — Changes in Tax Rates for 2008
- Recent changes in capital gains tax rates.
- The overlooked importance of fixed income.
- How do maturity and credit risk affect your bond portfolio?
- What does an active manager do?
May 25, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Michael Van Sant CFP® — College Savings
- Best ways to start saving for your child’s education.
- What is a 529 Plan and how does it help you save?
- How to retire without running out of money.
- What is diversification?
May 18, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Dale H. Glasser, CPA — Starting a New Business
- The type of entity choice.
- What are the benefits of being incorporated in Nevada?
- Advantages of starting a business with a CPA or Attorney.
- Discrepancies in the fund rating system.
- What is a separate account?
May 11, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Luke E. Thomas — Estate Planning
- Consequences of not having a will or revocable trust.
- Differences between a will and revocable trust.
- The baby boomer challenge: Building and protecting your assets.
May 04, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Peter K. Goerlitz — Healthcare Insurance
- Planning for healthcare insurance during the retirement stage.
- What is a healthcare savings account?
April 27, 2008 — Guest Speaker: N/A — Passive vs. Active Management
April 20, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Margae Diamond & Ashley K. Dahl — Charitable Giving
- Where do market returns come from?
- What is charitable giving and how can you benefit from it?
- How are donor advised funds used?
April 13, 2008 — Guest Speaker: N/A — Investment Advisors
April 05, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Susan Sabella — Long Term Care
- The importance of long term care planning.
- What is long term care and who can benefit from it?
- The difference between long term care and disability insurance.
March 29, 2008 — Guest Speaker: N/A — The Passive Approach
March 22, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Ethan Broga CFP®, MS — Individual Retirement Account
- What are IRA’s and what are the difference between each IRA availabile?
- Who should have an IRA and Roth?
- What’s new in the year 2008?
March 15, 2008 — Guest Speaker: Steve Weisman — Identity Theft